“Banana Leaf Thali”
Culinary Spice Tour of the Southern States of
Tamil Nadu & Kerala
*** The tour is under development ***
Journey with Epicurean Exchange Culinary Travel and our partner Kipling India Travel are pleased to present a specially curated bespoke culinary, cultural journey to experience the gastronomic delights of two South Indian states - Tamil Nadu and Kerala.
Both these states which are located in the southern most tip of India. Each have a very rich history and heritage of regional cuisines, shaped and heavily influenced for over several centuries by the local inhabitants, colonial and trading links which were forged during the commencement of spice trade in the early 14th and 15th centuries. It is said that the story of Indian spices is older then recorded history...over 7,000 years old!
Arab, French, Portuguese, Spanish, English, Syrian Christians and Dutch traders played a significant role in shaping the cuisines of the region.
Some of the key highlights of the "Banana Leaf Thali" - Tamil Nadu & Kerala Culinary & Cultural Tour include:
• Hands - on experience to learn some of iconic, secret recipes of the rich merchant community located in "Chettinadu" in Tamil Nadu
• Visiting local fresh produce markets to select fresh ingredients and cooking with Ms Sundari's kitchen in her Chennai home + an overview of the Tamil Brahmin cuisine
• Visiting the awe inspiring temples of Mahaballipuram near the beach
• Extraordinary experience of watching one of India's mega kitchens cook for several thousand devotees
• Learn how spices are grown, plucked and dried in a Spice Plantation in Thekedy in Kerala
• Enjoy a cruise on a houseboat in the backwaters of Kerala
• A specially curated Food Safari in the the holy town of Madurai - which has a very distinct cuisine
• Get up, close and personal in the Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary...to see a myriad of flora, fauna in the pristine environs.
• Experience the devotion of local populace in the temple town of Tanjore...one of the most stunning temples in Tamil Nadu
• Step back in colonial time - French style by walking the Boulevards of Pondicherry and learn how to cook "Creole cooking"
• Gain spiritual insights and a different way of life by experiencing "Auroville", near Pondicherry
• Get much needed R&R by taking Kerala's "Ayurveda" spa and wellness treatments
• See Black Pepper get traded in a "Pepper exchange" in Cochin
• Learn how cook Kerala's "Moppala & Syrican Christian dishes" by Mrs N Paul in her beautiful home
• Stay in Philip Kutty's farm and learn how to cook some of the secret recipes which the family cooks - "Karimeen" Fish Molee" and more
• Watch how the agile coconut tree climbers go up the tree to collect "Toddy" - a local brew & also harvest ripe coconuts
Meet Your Culinary